Notes of Officers Meeting
Thursday 17th August 2017 : 4 pm Cardiff
Present : Alison Scouller, Pip Ford and Tony Beddow
- Notes of last meeting – these were agreed.
- Arch project: secretary updated officers of recent enquiries made to the Cabinet Member for health re the status of bariatric surgery and genetically targeted cancer treatment. A reply is awaited.
- Possible Welsh Government / Westminster front bench meeting: suggestions had been put to Westminster colleagues; agreed: secretary to contact JA directly.
- Safe Staffing levels: information had been sought re progress on methods to be used to contain workloads to available staff; noted – a ward closure had occurred at Singleton Hospital to ensure safe operation.
- Latest details of Welsh SHA members were noted: agreed, further refinement of details of affiliated bodies would be undertaken re eligible branches of affiliated Trade Unions.
- The draft response to “Services Fit for the Future” had been sent to all members for comment; agreed, the final submission would be agreed at the next officers meeting.
- Central Council
The next Central Council meeting would take place at Conference; policy development would continue.
- Party Matters
- a) Election of Welsh Policy Forum member: agreed, Chair to continue
- b) Election of WEC member: agreed, SHA to consult with SEA re views on
candidates; in light of outcome three possible candidates were noted.
- c) Consultation re electing Leader and Deputy: some comments had been
received on the proposed election arrangements and a full response
would be submitted by 21st October.
- Major Trauma Services Wales
The secretary reported actions taken to clarify the status of a press report
Indicating that UHW was the emerging location for the Welsh Major
Trauma Unit. Agreed: press release might follow if FOI request was denied
or if information sought cast doubt on the process used. A public meeting
to explore the issue might be called. Noted: major trauma services were an
example of “national” services that ought to be planned at a level above
LHBs and should be noted in the response to “Services fit for the Future”.
- Treasurers report
The available balance was £568-39p.
- Legislation watch: nothing to report
- a) A preliminary discussion about the AGM was held; location, timing and
possible speakers were discussed.
- b) Agreed: Chair to attend Public Health Conference in October.
- Next officers meeting
13th September, 4pm Cardiff.