Notes of SHA Cymru Wales Officers Meeting May 6th 2014 at Unite Offices Cardff
Present: Alison Scouller, Philippa Ford, Tony Beddow
- Notes of last meeting – Notes of April 8th 2014 meeting were agreed.
- a) FOI Request UHW cardiac care
Noted: NHS England had now supplied copies of correspondence from
Welsh Government and Ms Charlotte Leslie MP regarding cardiac care in
UHW. It was felt curious that, for some reason, a copy of an apologetic
letter written by Ann Clwyd MP to Sir Bruce Keogh was included in the
correspondence along with replies from Welsh Government officials.
- b) Meeting with Madeleine Brindley
Chair and secretary reported on a constructive meeting with Madeleine Brindley – special adviser to Mark Drakeford – held on 3rd April. It was agreed to ensure good lines of communication were kept open.
- c) Public health legislation
Agreed: Alison Scouller would prepare a draft response and members would be circulated and their comments invited.
- 3. Report back from Central Council.
Tony Beddow reported back on the recent Central Council held in Birmingham. There were concerns that matters left over from the AGM
– the failure to agree the accounts and membership issues – had not been dealt with. Neither had written concerns raised by a number of CC members been deemed worthy of discussion.
There had been a surprise presentation on “commissioning” from a cabinet member from Birmingham City Council. Some debate on the coming Party manifesto had taken place and the removal of the internal market had been agreed.
- 10 Steps Document
The launch the this document would be an event in the Senedd on 20th May. The secretary would alert the media and provide an early copy to Madeleine Brindley. Coffee and teas would be ordered for 25 people.
- Meeting with Wales Labour
Noted: the officers meeting had been preceded by a constructive meeting with Martin Eagleston, Wales Labour, to discuss ways in which the SHA Cymru Wales could add informed comment to the debate about the merits of the NHS in England and Wales.
- All member meetings.
It was agreed that the All Member meetings could address:
- a) developments in Primary Care and the 10 steps document or
- b) the challenges of defining and providing safe staffing levels in the NHS
The meeting would “open” and shared with medical, nursing and other bodies, possibly in Cardiff or Swansea in late September.
- Meeting with President: Julian Tudor Hart
Chair and secretary had recently met with Julian Tudor Hart to review
aspects of the future work of SHA Cymru Wales.
- Treasurer report The Treasurer reported a current balance of
Date of next officers meeting: 10th June 2014 at Sarne
AGM to be in September